Sunday 29 September 2013

The Italian Job

It's taken a while, but after one month, a few linguistic misunderstandings, several rainforests' worth of paperwork, and the odd helpful contribution to the office, I think I might finally be getting the hang of this whole working-in-a-foreign-country thing.

I'm interning at the Goethe Zentrum, the Bologna branch of the Goethe Institut, a huge organisation responsible for promoting German culture and providing German language courses. The reasoning behind this was that I wanted to keep my German up whilst living in Italy and get some experience of work in the cultural sector, and in those aspects it's been a success. But being the only person there with neither German nor Italian as my native language, there's the danger of work that's either way above my linguistic level and therefore terrifying, or just boring as they're not sure what I'll be able to manage. The Bologna office is small with only three permanent members of staff, but fairly chaotic nonetheless, and they've not managed to find time to give me much of an explanation of what my role actually is. But after a bit of time to suss out, along with the other interns, how the office works and how we're supposed to help, I'm now being trusted with more responsible and interesting tasks - as well as the obligatory occasional photocopying sesh.

As it's the start of the academic year, the Institut is busy at the moment with all the new students signing up for the year, and we have to give them the relevant information, examine them to test their level, and fill out approximately five million forms. Although the Italian students probably don't appreciate having their German examined by an English girl with a very iffy accent, this is one of my favourite jobs, not only because I can act all teacher-y with my red pen and examiners' booklet, but because I'm hoping that correcting their mistakes is going to drill the German grammar rules into my head, something seven years of learning the language hasn't yet achieved.

As well as the language courses, the Goethe Institut organises cultural events throughout the year, from concerts to talks to film screenings, and I've been helping to get these sorted for the next few months. This has involved putting together the programme for the term and contacting the musicians or speakers to confirm details, as well as researching potential films (including the charmingly titled 'Fickende Fische') and ordering food for the Institut's open day. The latter task reminded me of Year 9 German lessons where you'd plan a shopping list for a party, but somehow evolved into a herculean task as none of the staff seemed familiar with online ordering and struggled to come to terms with the concept of a username, all of which was quite entertaining for me and the other two interns - I think we earned some serious respect from the boss for solving this conundrum for them. This weekend the Institut hosted a concert by a youth orchestra from Leipzig, so I helped to make programmes, set up the event, welcome people and explain a bit about the Goethe Institut in the hybrid German-Italian that seems to be the office's lingua franca.

There's also the inevitable deluge of admin and errands – filing, phonecalls, emails, and multiple trips to the post office and coffee bar (being Italy, it's an unpaid internship if you exclude the Erasmus grant, but coffee/juice expenses are covered, something I am taking full advantage of). Not exactly glamorous perhaps, but the post office lady, barista and I are practically besties at this stage, and I've finally got the hang of both the fiendish photocopier and my Italian 'phone voice'. The obvious benefit of a bilingual German-Italian office is that I don't hear a word of English all day, and even the more tedious tasks have the bonus of picking up exciting new vocab such as 'mark as spam' 'photocopy this front and back' and 'can I please speak to someone who knows what they're talking about?'...Only joking (sort of) but I do feel a ridiculously huge sense of achievement every time I successfully manage to give someone the information/paperwork/translation they asked for!



How it feels every time I misunderstand an instruction in German...

No comments:

Post a Comment